The Indian Meteorological Department (IMD) has issued a red alert in the city “indicating heavy to very heavy rains with extremely heavy rains in isolated locations”, for 24 hours.
The rain started in the early hours of Sunday. The city is said to have witnessed one of the heaviest rains this season. It recorded more than 250mm of rain in just three hours, between midnight and 3am, hitting 305mm at 7am on Sunday, a meteorologist said.
Death the toll goes up
*The death toll continued to rise throughout the day and stood at 32 when this report was presented.
* There were two incidents of landslides, house and wall collapses, and two electrocution incidents.
* Many were trapped in the rubble of their homes and rescue operations were underway.
Rescue operations underway in Mumbai on Sunday. (Reuters)
Train, flight services interrupted
*Western Railway and Central Railway briefly suspended suburban train services in Mumbai due to heavy rains.
* Many long-distance trains were terminated or regulated at various stations, authorities said.
* Nine flights were diverted after Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport temporarily suspended flight operations as a safety measure.
* Flight operations resumed at 05:24 am, ANI reported.
BMC asks people to drink boiled water
*On Sunday, the BMC asked citizens to boil their water before drinking, as heavy rains caused flooding at the water purification complex in Bhandup.
* The floods have affected the electrical equipment that controls the pumping and filtration processes in Bhandup, one of the main water supply sites in the country’s financial capital.
* The flooding in the complex has affected the water supply in most of the metropolis, an official said.
Lake Vihar overflows
*The rain caused Lake Vihar to overflow Sunday morning, a civic official said.
* A BMC statement said that the lake, with a storage capacity of 27,698 million liters, is the smallest of the bodies of water that are part of the supply mechanism to the metropolis. It supplies 90 million liters of water per day, the civic body said.
PM Modi announces relief
* Prime Minister Narendra Modi has expressed his distress over the loss of life in Mumbai.
* His office announced Rs 2 lakh each for the relatives of the late Prime Minister. National Relief Fund. A sum of Rs 50,000 would be given to the injured.
Saddened by the loss of life due to the collapse of walls in Chembur and Vikhroli in Mumbai. In this hour of pain, my th… https://t.co/fIVX55e4vk
– PMO India (@PMOIndia) 1626581811000
CM announces ex-gratia, holds high-level meeting
* Maharashtra Prime Minister Uddhav Thackeray expressed his regret at the loss of life and announced an ex gratia of 5 lakh rupees for the families of each of the victims and free treatment for the injured.
* Thackeray spoke with Mumbai Civic Commissioner IS Chahal and evaluated rescue and relief operations.
* Directed the authorities to ensure coordination between the National Disaster Response Force, municipal workers, fire brigade and police for rescue operations.
* Thackeray also called on authorities to ensure that medical facilities at Covid-19 jumbo centers are not affected due to heavy rains.
* CM Thackeray also held a high-level meeting with officials at 6 pm on Sunday via video conference on the rain situation in Mumbai, ANI reported.
CM Uddhav Balasaheb Thackeray has expressed his deepest condolences to the families who have lost their loved ones… https://t.co/G5UW5ILlAO
– CMO Maharashtra (@CMOMaharashtra) 1626595264000
The minister of tourism visits the affected places
* The state tourism minister, Aaditya Thackeray, visited the affected places and evaluated the relief works being carried out by various agencies.
* He took to Twitter to announce that the Maharashtra The government and the BMC are providing all necessary financial and medical assistance to those affected.
President expresses condolences
* President Ram Nath Kovind also expressed regret over the rain-related deaths.
मुंबई के चेंबूर और विक्रोली में भारी वर्षा के कारण हुए हादसों में कई लोगों के हताहत होने की खबर से अत्यंत दुःख हुआ।… https://t.co/Vow8AuP54R
– President of India (@rashtrapatibhvn) 1626584801000