Can you really do without a password?
Yes, you can, but you will have to remove your password. Microsoft has passwordless solutions like Windows, Hello, Microsoft Authenticator App, SMS or email codes and physical security keys to keep your account safe.
What do you need to not have a password?
For starters, a Microsoft account. Then, before removing your password, you will need to download and install the Microsoft Authenticator app. The Microsoft Authenticator app is available from the App store and Play Store. Microsoft also says that before downloading the app and not having a password, all your devices must have the latest software updates.
What to do after you have removed your passwords?
There are certain steps that Microsoft has outlined.
- Download the Microsoft Authenticator app.
- Open the Authenticator app and set up your account in the app by following the instructions
- Sign in to your Microsoft account.
- Under Account without password, select Activate.
- Follow the prompts to verify your account.
- Approve the request sent to your Microsoft Authenticator app.
Can you add a password back to your account?
Yes, if you are not comfortable without having a password, there is the option to go back. Just follow the steps below:
- Sign in to additional security options in your Microsoft account.
- Under Account without password, select Deactivate and then Next
- Follow the prompts to re-add a password to your account.
Will a passwordless account work with all apps and services?
No, he will not. Older versions of Windows, Mac, applications, and services will still need a password. These include Xbox 360; Office 2010 or earlier; Office for Mac 2011 or earlier; Products and services that use IMAP and POP email services; and Windows 8.1, Windows 7 or earlier.
Please note that Microsoft is rolling out this feature and it will reach all users in the coming months.