The 78-year-old strongman from Lingayat added that he offered to resign two months ago to make way for others and claimed that he would not name a successor even if asked to do so. Breaking his silence for the first time amid a huge rumor that he would resign on July 26, Yediyurappa said he was awaiting instructions from the high command on Sunday.
“I have no message (about the continuation as CM). It is my duty to comply with what they say (the high command). I will continue as CM for as long as you want. Whether in power or not, I will continue to tour the state and strengthen the party, ”he said. He said he would continue working as usual.
On Friday he will inspect development work in Bengaluru. “I’ll do my duty to the end, let’s see what happens,” he said. He also praised the party’s top brass. “PM Modi, Amit Shah and JP Nadda have special love and faith in me. In our party, those over 75 years of age do not receive any charge. However, appreciating my work, they gave me the opportunity to serve as CM, ”he said.
The change of tone from “no one has asked me to resign and I will continue as CM” to “I will comply with the decision of the high command” is seen here as an indication that his departure is imminent. When asked if a fellow Lingayat should succeed him, he said: “I will not exert such pressure. Who should be appointed (the next MC) is left to the central leadership. “In New Delhi, National BJP Karnataka’s general secretary in charge, Arun Singh, who had said last month that Yediyurappa would continue in office for a full term, dodged a question about the leadership change. “I will discuss it another time over a cup of tea,” he told reporters.