The tunnel, located near the Chinese border, is expected to give India strategic weight by facilitating faster movement of its troops.
Here are key things to know about the tunnel …
* The tunnel passes through the Sela Pass and is expected to shorten the distance to the Chinese border via Tawang per 10 km.
* It is located on the border between the Tawang and West Kameng districts of Arunachal.
* The project consists of two tunnels. Tunnel 1 is 980 meters long, while Tunnel 2 is a 1,555 meter long double tube tunnel.
* The tunnel would also reduce the travel time between the 4th Army Corps headquarters in Tezpur in Assam and Tawang by at least one hour.
* Construction of the Sela Tunnel is expected to be completed in June 2022.
The Sela Tunnel Saga https://t.co/5K2BLc6ENE
– Rajnath Singh (@rajnathsingh) 1634188779000
* The tunnel would ensure that National Highway 13, especially the 171 km stretch between Bomdila and Tawang, remains accessible in all weather conditions.
* In 2019, Prime Minister Narendra Modi laid the foundation stone for the project. It will cost around 687 million rupees.
* During the 1962 war, China’s invasion of India progressed rapidly after Sela was invaded by the PLA.
* “(The Sela Tunnel) will not only strengthen security, but also connect remote areas, enabling West Arunachal residents to travel to work. It will increase tourism and improve the economy,” said Lt. General Rajeev Chaudhary. from DG BRO to the news. ANI agency.
(With inputs from agencies)