- Fundamentally, MySQL is the old database driver, and MySQLi is the Improved driver. The “I” remains for “enhanced” so it is MySQL moved forward.
- MySQLi should be possible procedural and questions situated through MySQL must be utilized procedurally. Mysqli additionally bolsters arranged explanations that shield from SQL Injection.
The main useful features are:
- an Object-oriented interface
- support for prepared statements
- support for multiple statements
- support for transactions
- enhanced debugging capabilities
- embedded server support
MySQL is a relational database management system (or RDBMS) –meaning that it is a database management system based on the relational model.
MySQLi Extension (or simply known as MySQL Improved or MySQLi) is a relational database driver that is used mainly in the PHP programming language. It provides an interface to the already founded MySQL databases. It is quite literally an improved version of its predecessor, MySQL, which was simply a means to manage databases over servers.