Why should the Center, not the states, distribute the vaccine to private hospitals ?, asks Mamata | India News

India
Why should the Center, not the states, distribute the vaccine to private hospitals ?, asks Mamata |  India News


KOLKATA: Claiming that the Narendra Modi government is not following the spirit of federalism, the Chief Minister of West Bengal Mamata banerjee on Wednesday it was asked why the Center reserved the right to distribute 25 percent of Covid-19 vaccines to private hospitals and not to states.
The prime minister had announced on Monday that the Center had decided to buy 75 percent of the jabs from vaccine manufacturers for free supply to states, while private sector hospitals will continue to purchase the remaining 25 percent.
Banerjee said he opposed the imposition of the goods and services tax (GST) on medicines, equipment and vaccines necessary for the treatment of Covid-19.
Addressing a press meeting at the secretary of state ‘Nabanna’ after meeting with leaders of peasant agitators, he said that since “Covid to farmers”, the central government led by the BJP has pushed the country into a serious crisis.
“The Center has said that it will provide 25 percent of vaccines directly to private hospitals. Why by the Center? The state implements the Center’s policy in a federal setting,” he said.
Speaking to the prime minister, he said: “He only knows how to speak out against the states. He only knows about divide and rule. Why hasn’t the prime minister said anything about withdrawing 5 percent of GST on Covid vaccines? ? ”
Banerjee said that the prime minister did not think of spending Rs 34,000 crore from the PM Cares Fund to fully vaccinate the people of the country in all these days.
If the Center had launched the free vaccination campaign in this period, “we would not have to lose so many citizens in the 18 to 45 age group,” he said.
“What happened to Modi’s promise before the Bihar elections about free vaccination for all? So many months passed after,” he said.
The Bihar Assembly The election took place in three phases in October and November of last year.
“The prime minister should not take credit for the Center’s free vaccine policy now and should explain what happened all these days,” he added. Banerjee saying.
The CM said that two million people were inoculated in West Bengal and the state government spent 200 million rupees to purchase vaccines.

.



Source link